If you’re curious about what the human design system is and how to figure out what your unique human design is, check out my earlier post WHAT IS HUMAN DESIGN?
Once you’ve pulled your human design chart, let’s discuss what you’re looking at.
This is meant to be a basic introduction to the parts of a human design chart and, depending on your learning style, working with a human design reader or expert who can help you understand things on a deeper level. More details will be explained in other blog posts.
Here’s what a full chart can look like.
You’ll see some text information as well as a bodygraph plus a list of numbers on either side of the bodygraph.
Let’s go over the text first.
Depending on which site you used to pull your information, you’ll often see the following: BIRTH INFO, TYPE, DEFINITION, STRATEGY, PROFILE, INCARNATION CROSS, INNER AUTHORITY, NOT-SELF THEME, UNCONSCIOUS, CONSCIOUS, CENTERS, BODYGRAPH, AND MORE.
When you generate your chart, always double-check the birth information. The date, exact local time of birth, and location of birth. This is what is used to pull your unique design. Changes in even a few minutes or hours can impact different aspects of your chart.
There are a few different types defined by this system. They are calculated based on the mechanics of which gates and channels are activated.
The five types are Generators, Manifesting Generators, Manifestors, Projectors, and Reflectors.
- Generators and Manifesting Generators have the SACRAL CENTER defined (colored). Manifesting Generators have a direct or indirect channel from a motor center (Sacral, Root, Solar Plexus or Ego) to the Throat Center.
- Manifestors do not have the Sacral Center definition (it’ll be white). They have a direct or indirect channel from a motor center (Root, Solar Plexus or Ego) to the Throat Center.
- Projectors also do not have the Sacral Center definition and do not have a direct or indirect channel from a motor center to Throat Center.
- Reflectors have no defined centers (all their centers will be white). They are the rarest type (making up less than 1% of the population).
In this case, definition refers to how your centers are communicating with one another. For example, single definition means all the defined centers have channels connecting one another and they can easily “communicate” with each other.
Each type has a strategy on how to move forward and experiment with life so that they are met with the least resistance (within themselves and with others). This is how you learn about yourself.
- Generators wait to respond
- Manifesting Generators wait to respond, inform and initiate
- Manifestors inform and initiate
- Projectors wait for an energetic invitation
- Reflectors wait a lunar cycle
Your complete design is a combination of some of the traits you've inherited as well as your own unique genetics. This is how you express yourself (combination of unconscious traits and conscious traits). The six lines are as follows (and please understand these words are Ra's language and they have since been interpreted in many new empowering ways).
Line 1 - Investigator
Line 2 - Hermit
Line 3 - Martyr
Line 4 - Opportunist
Line 5 - Heretic
Line 6 - Role Model
You'll always see two numbers as your profile, the first being your conscious and the second being your unconscious and both make up your profile. The profile will be one of those things that will resonate with others who have the same profile. I'm a 2/4 and I LOVE connecting with other 2/4 despite what their type is.
Your life’s purpose is expressed through your Incarnation Cross and it is lived out through your Profile – your identity. Your Incarnation Cross forms by crossing polarities of the Personality (Sun) and Design (Earth) lines. There are hundreds of incarnation cross variations and recommended to study only after you’ve been experimenting with your design for at least one or two years.
There are seven authorities possible. This is based on a hierarchy definition of centers: Solar Plexus, Sacral, Spleen, Ego, G-Center, Crown, and No Definition.
- Emotional Authority: Solar Plexus is defined. Possible for all types except for Reflectors, who have all undefined/open centers. Decisions are made after riding out the emotional wave.
- Sacral Authority: Solar Plexus is undefined/open and Sacral Center is defined. Only possible for Generators of Manifesting Generators due to the Sacral Center definition. The sacral center responds in the moment.
- Splenic Authority: both Solar Plexus and Sacral Center are undefined/open. Only possible for Manifestors or Projectors due to undefined/open Sacral Center. The spleen center guides decisions in an instant.
- Ego Authority: Solar Plexus, Sacral, and Spleen centers are undefined/open. Possible for Manifestors or Projectors. Making decisions through the process of talking about what you want.
- Self-Projected: G-Center or Identity Center has a direct connection with Throat. No motor centers are defined. Possible for Projectors only. Talking it out with someone and figuring it out through the process (environment is very important here).
Mental Authority: Only Head, Ajna, and Throat Centers are defined. Possible for Projectors only. Talking it out and figuring it out in the process (again, environment is important here).
The not-self theme is like a signal that lets you know that something is out of alignment and invites us to reflect. Every type has a signature that they’re here to experience, that lets them know they are living true to their design (and feels like a reward). The not-self theme is the opposite of the signature. It is not a good or bad thing. It’s just a signal.
- Generators are here to feel satisfaction and their not-self theme is frustration
- Manifesting Generators are here to feel satisfaction and peace and their not-self theme is frustration and anger
- Manifestors are here to feel peace and their not-self theme is anger
- Projectors are here to feel recognized and successful and their not-self theme is bitterness
- Reflectors are here to feel awe and surprise and their not-self theme is disappointment
These are the numbers on either side of your bodygraph and are reflected in the bodygraph as well. The numbers on the left are your unconscious gates (can also be referenced as Design or Body) activated in you, which were based on the transits happening about 3 months before you were born. The numbers on the right side are your conscious gates (can also be referenced as Personality or Mind) activated in you, which were based on the transits happening the moment you were born. The numbers before the dot are the gate numbers, which correlate with the bodygraph (see the purple circles in the example) and the number after the dot are lines (1 through 6), which are how you express that energy. These gates are energies that are consistent and accessible to you at all times. The white areas (gates that are open) are energies you can access but it will be inconsistent, unless you’re around people who have those gates.
CENTERS & BODYGRAPH
The Bodygraph is a rendering that comprises the physical body’s energy centers, represented by geometric shapes, based from the Hindu chakra system. These respective energy centers represent the Head, Ajna, Throat, Identity/G-Center, Ego/Heart/Will, Spleen, Emotional/Solar Plexus, Sacral and Root. If the shape is colored in (regardless of color), it is defined and means you have consistent access to this energy. If the shape is white, it means it’s an undefined or open center and means the access to this energy is inconsistent. This doesn't mean you're "missing" anything. You are perfectly designed for your life purpose!
GATES & CHANNELS
Within each of the centers in the bodygraph are Gates. There are 64 Gates in all, just as there are 64 hexagrams in the I’Ching system and 64 codons in our DNA. Gates correlate with resources, energies, potentials and different types of intelligences. Gates are indicated by “openings” of energy centers as indicated by each number on the bodygraph. When one gate communicates with the gate at the opposite end, it creates a channel. There are a total of 32 channels on a Human Design Bodygraph. When you have a defined Channel, this can shed light on the characterizations of specific themes in your life, a gift or function that is reliable as it is a part of you.
Now that you understand how to look and explore all the components of a human design chart, let’s dive deeper into each type. While it's great to know all these things, you want to be able to understand how does it all come together? How do I use it in life? How do I apply it on a daily basis?
If you want fun tools while you study human design, The Aura Market offers unique digital (and physical) products for you to use (or give as gifts to friends, clients, and colleagues). Explore our notepad bundles, glyphs bundles, bodygraph files, and the first of its kind - Canva Templates for content creation!
Dive deep into all the human design types, authorities, centers, and profile lines below:
- Generators: the Magnetic Creators
- Manifesting Generators: the Multi-Passionate Geniuses
- Projectors: the Guiding Forces
- Manifestors: the Bold Visionaries
- Reflectors: the Mystical Mirrors
- the Seven Human Design Authorities
- the Nine Human Design Centers
- the Six Human Design Profile Lines
- Digital Products for Human Design Study and Content Creation
While this is just a basic guide for how to read your Human Design chart, there is so much more that goes into each individual chart! For a more in-depth analysis for your personal chart, I recommend working with someone who can guide you through it.